We meet the 1st and 3rd Thursdays at St. Gertrude's Ministry Center
(6214 N. Glenwood), beginning at 8:00 p.m. Folks are welcome to join us at anytime.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Video interview with ex-Gitmo detainee

ABC News interviews Lakhdar Boumediene, an ex-Guantánamo detainee who resorted to hunger strikes to protest more than seven years of detention and torture inside Guantánamo. Boumediene was finally released to France on May 15, 2009.

When Boumediene described the severe beatings and sleep deprivation inflicted upon him during his detention, the reporter asked him, “Do you think that you were tortured?” Boumediene's response: “I do not think. I’m sure. You think that’s not torture?” Arrested in late 2001, Boumediene has missed most of his daughters’ lives. “I just, I cry. Just I cry, because I don’t know my daughters,” he said. As more men are released from Guantánamo, we will, no doubt, continue to hear these heartbreaking stories. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment